Monday, November 17, 2008

Surprise!

Last week was quite eventful & fruitful for me…. Got some long pending things done finally.. Like getting my bike insurance renewed and Saturday saw me finally getting down to servicing the bike after a lot of postponements :D
Also had to go to office for some work on Saturday so couldn’t go home to Pune. So when Saturday night arrived, I had this “keeda” to do something whacky. And thats when I decided that I will have Sundays lunch at home!

Had to get up early for that … 4.45 alarm made me get up and keep the water for heating but I went back to sleep. Luckily I had my backup alarm going off in25 minutes (I do know my habits) so got down to getting ready.
5.55 AM: all geared up – jacket, helmet & backpack (sadly couldn’t carry my camera as the rechargeable cells have become useless. Have to buy new ones) and was off from g’gaon. Decided to take the Airoli route which I had no idea about so once I reached the eastern express highway off Kanjur Marg; it was all dependant on the road signs and whatever little I could remember from google maps (yes! Google maps for India are working though it doesn’t give the route and all as in the US). To my surprise, the signs were always there and I safely joined the Sion-Panvel highway off CBD Belapur. Zooming down the road, at a constant 60-70 kmph, I reached Panvel at 6.55 AM.
After stretching my legs and downing a chai (no tea latte to go with it :D), I was off towards my next way point- Lonavala via NH4 and passing Khopoli and Khandala. As I crossed Panvel town and went down the NH-4, I was passed my 4 high end Suzuki, Yamaha &/or Honda bikes, zooming across the roads at 120 kmph at least. Mostly on the way to Amby Valley for the weekend ride. Also saw many college folks and other enthu bikers on their rides – Pulsars, Apache RTR, FZ-16s and what not. My discover seemed like a minnow – well it was one – but I didn’t care as long as I was doing fine.

8 AM: was at Lonavala after safely crossing the 12 KM ghat from Khopoli to Khandala. Had steaming hot idli-vada sambar @ RK’s and was again back on the road towards Pune. This stretch of the NH4 is really smooth and well done – not too many unexpected pot holes (thankfully) and since it is also a tolled road (though not as much as the expressway and best thing is no toll for bikes :P) they have managed to maintain it well. I was able to hit 85 KMPH on this stretch. While I was leaving Lonavala, mom called to ask if I was up. I told her that I was outside but nothing else …. (I don’t know why I like giving people such shocks …they call it shocks, for me it’s giving them a pleasant surprise; like arranging a surprise birthday party for your friend and getting the chance to shout “Surprise” when they enter and lights go on and then being able to see the mixture of joy, shock and a myriad of other reactions on their face; some people don’t like it always but even then it’s just that their anger is a wee bit more than their happiness; so that’s ok)

9.05 AM: I was turning from the NH4 on to the Dehu Road – Katraj bypass which goes 10 kms from my home. Another 20 KMS and I was knocking on my door at 9.25 AM, exactly 3 hrs and 30 minutes since I left goregaon. Mom was surprised but when she heard I came on the bike she was shocked. Got some gyan from her n my grandmom. Then it was dad’s turn when he saw me. “It’s risky!”. Very true but it was fun too and something I like doing. Much better than sitting at home and just reading paper all day anytime. Total distance travelled was 165 KMs.

So I got to have lunch at home, got too see Harry Potter & Order of Pheonix and do small talk with mom & dad.  5 hours at home and time to leave. Did not want to do night time highway driving since it has been a long time. So I was off at 2.30 and it was decent till Panvel but then the traffic of Bombay came into picture and I took 2 hours to go from Kharghar to Goregaon. Ah well that’s the norm these days so nothing to complain.
Was home at 7.15 PM – a total of 330 KMs travelled. Yet to calculate the mileage I got but it should be decent I guess. The bike is doing pretty well.

It was a spur of the moment thing (Kal's gonna curse me ;)).
Hopefully should have a chance to go riding again very soon. :)

~KK